PEEK is a high-performing thermoplastic polymer and part of the polyetheretherketone family. This semi-crystalline advanced material exhibits a unique combination of high mechanical properties, temperature resistance and excellent chemical resistance making it the most popular advanced plastics material.
Fluoro Pacific provides both PEEK powder which can be compounded with other material fillers and semi-finished products according to customer specifications. Our Australian processing facility has the capacity to:
• Blend PEEK with other materials to provide additional capabilities
• Melt PEEK powder to a liquid form and inject this into a mould
• Melt PEEK powder within a mould and compress it at the same time.
The Benefits of Using PEEK?
Some of the advantages of using PEEK are:
• Ability to perform under high loadings at continuous temperatures up to 260°C
• Maintains exceptional mechanical strength whilst being lightweight
• High durability, abrasion and wear resistant, with a Shore Durometer rating up to 82
• Provides high pressure velocity (PV) under high temperatures
• Can tolerate high pressure water and steam applications without major degradation
• Long lifespan and able to withstand difficult and challenging environments
• Resistant to chemicals
• Low flammability
• Easy to machine, particularly with Isocomp unique blend adding 5% PTFE
Fluoro Pacific adds specialty lubricants to its PEEK formulations. This provides a significant advantage when machining the semi-finished product as it the has a smooth finish and is less harsh on the tool tips. In addition, after hot compression moulding, the product slips out easier with a smooth finish. The semi-finished products are then used to machine engineering products suitable for applications in the aerospace, energy, automotive, food and beverage and biomedical industries.
PEEK compounding provides additional characteristics to the thermoplastic to meet specific needs.
• A specially formulated proprietary grade, the addition of fillers to PEEK results in a "Tribological Grade". Its excellent tribological properties (low friction, improved wear resistance and high Pressure-Velocity capabilities) make this grade specially suited for bearing and wear applications
• Our HPV-Type 9900 has been tested to provide up to 35% lower friction, reducing heat generation and wear. An added benefit is reduced valve actuator torque.
• ISOPEEK CA30 is a bearing grade reinforced with 30% carbon fibre. This further improves stiffness, mechanical strength, wear and creep resistance. The thermal conductivity of ISOPEEK CA30 is 350% higher than virgin PEEK, dissipating heat from the bearing face more quickly. This allows a greater safety factor where frictional heat build up occurs, such as bushes. It is well suited to high load application.
Some typical market applications are:
Food and Beverage
Unfilled grades of PEEK are suitable for use in the food and beverage market as part of production and packaging, such as:
• Valve components
• Mixing paddles
• Filling nozzles
• Hot filling machines
• Citrus fruit processing
PEEK is lightweight, has excellent thermal resistance, low smoke generation and is so heat and fire resistant that it can self-extinguish, making it perfect for:
• Landing gear hubcaps
• Thermal isolators
• Cabin lighting fittings
• Door handles
PEEK has excellent thermal resistance, radiation resistance, hydrolysis resistance as well as lubricity, chemical resistance and electrical properties, making it suitable for:
• Electrical connectors
• Umbilicals and industrial hoses
• Seals and back-up rings
• Communications and power cables, wireline and data logging
• Plugs and packers
• Bearings and bushings
• Motor and pump components